The incredible garlic and feta punch in this cheeseball will knock your socks off!
Low phosphorus cheese ball? Absolutely. With this flavorful dip you won’t miss the salt or cheddar.
- 1 (8 oz) package, softened cream cheese
(Check your packages carefully. Lowfat is not always the lowest in sodium.)
- 2 ounces, crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves, minced garlic (If you love garlic, we actually did 3 garlic cloves and it tasted fantastic.)
- 1 tsp, dried oregano
- 2 tsp, dried dill weed
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 5 each, finely diced green onions
- opt. garnish olives
- opt, garnish pretezels
- opt, garnish poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, feta cheese, olive oil, green onions and garlic. Season with dill, oregano and pepper. Mix well, and form into spider shape. Cover, and chill for 2 hours. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and decorate with olive (eyes and mouth) and pretzels (legs). Serve with low sodium crackers or bell peppers.
- Note: We used a food processor to mix everything and found this to be easy. The key is make sure and chop green onions and garlic first and then add in other ingredients to be mixed.
Yes!!!! I typically am not real great at making “cute” food items, but this is one I could handle. Once chilled, the cheeseball was very moldable into the shape I wanted (adult playdoh!). I accidentally doubled the garlic in the recipe, but absolutely loved this dip. I thought it was going to be a very “Mediterranean” flavor, but this wasn’t the case. The flavor blend was incredible to give some punch without overwhelming my taste buds with any one particular seasoning taste. This recipe would be agreeable to even those people not watching sodium intake.
Author, Cook, Food Artist: Jessianna Saville, MS, RDN, CSR, LD
Photo Credits: Rebecca Barksdale and Jessianna Saville (learning some new skills!)