Cheesecake you can have on your renal diet.
- 2 (8oz) packages Cream Cheese (Cream cheese varies widely in sodium content and it seems the lower the fat content, often the higher the salt content. Do yourself a favor and enjor regular cream cheese for this dessert instead of fat free or ⅓ less fat. You will save yourself several hundrer milligrams of sodiu. If you are worried about calories, just have a smaller piece.)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- Crust (I went through our local Walmart (it is 5 minutes from my house so probably the grocery store I frequent most) and looked at premade crust versus cookies. Turns out that there isn't a huge difference and maybe even a little bit less sodium in a premade crust because they can make it really really thin. The crust lowest in sodium, by almost 50% was a granola crust versus a graham cracker or cookie crust. It is likely a little bit higher in phosphorus then the graham crust, but at the time of this post I hadn't heard back from either company on the phos content. Still, you can cut out some sodium just by being conscious of the brand you buy. If you don't even care about the crust for taste or texture, then consider a crustless cheesecake. You'll save yourself 100-200mg sodium.)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Cream together cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs one at time, blending well. Add vanilla and sour cream. Pour into shortbread crust.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cake jiggles evenly across the top when lightly shaken. Run a knife around the outside edge, but leave the cake in the pan. Let cool on counter, then place in refrigerator. Remove from pan when completely chilled, and serve.
Potassium: 150 mgs
This is a great basic cheesecake recipe. There are a variety of things you can do with this to suit your taste. We chose a cheesecake with a little bit of sour cream to help keep the sodium a little bit lower. We will be making this again and again.
(Checkout our related post on cooking considerations for cheesecake and the renal diet)
Photo Credits: Rebecca Barksdale